Sunday, June 15, 2008

$3.99

The gas station across the street from my apartment is at $3.99 for regular unleaded. It's as if staying at $3.99 will trick me into thinking that I'm not paying $4.00 gallon. Here's the question: How much longer will I continue to pay $40.00 everytime I fill up my tiny car? Perhaps as long as the rest of America continues to pay the same.

I suppose I'm an environmentalist, trying to recycle as often as possible, doing errands on the same drive, etc. But honestly, this is becoming an economic issue. I have to work six hours to pay for one tank of gas on my minimum wage job. Is it even worth it to go to work for a half day shift? It's not enough to complain. It's not enough to curb my driving habits. It's time to take action. But how? When everyone works on a automobile, fast-paced schedule? If class ends at 9, I'm expected to be at work by 9:30. Can I walk the distance in that short period of time? How do I take the bus home when it stops running at 5?


I leave you with this comic. At least we can look at this as the next great American adventure:


No comments: